not quite a record setter

first of all did you know that the storm had a name?
i had no idea snow storms had names
this one was called
jonas

now
 of course
 i am wondering 
if they do this
 alphabetically
the way they do
 tropical storms and hurricanes
if so
what were the other 9
where did they happen

jonas did not break the record for snow fall in central park
the snow measurement is done there because it doesn't change
apparently snow falls elsewhere do

jonas left 26.8 inches of snow in central park
the record holder
whose name i dont know
was 
the 2006 storm with 26.9 inches

way to go nameless 2006 storm

i woke on saturday 
went to the window
holy white out


got dressed and headed out


walked down to riverside drive
looked back up
west 80th



crossed riverside drive


riverside park was empty for the moment
no
wait
thats a runner there in the distance


this is my favorite spot
outside the park
looking up the drive


later in the day i went outside for a minute
to get a shot of that car
the snow that accumulated 
on the back
 made it look like it was speeding 
to me anyway


sunday morning
it was frigid
but sunny
apparently only our part of the street was shoveled
made walking difficult 


when i got up to west end avenue 
it was life as usual


coming back several hours later
this car was being dug out
by 
3 young men as the owner watched




11 comments:

  1. Wow---what a mess!! Where do they put all that snow??? There is literally nowhere to put it!!

    I love all your shots---looks so peaceful with the fresh fallen snow.

    I bet there were quite a few pictures taken in Central Park,after the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you had so much snow! But still, I think it's pretty. We got a lame 7 inches -- just enough to make the world glitter but not so much that we can't get around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a TON of snow for you guys! We actually missed this storm, but I have a feeling we will get it...eventually! Your pictures are so pretty! Be careful out there with all of that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you, Daryl. It is fun to see someone else's view of the storm compared to how it is reported here in the UK. Like what you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember storms like this in Chicago. But the worst was only 24 inches of snow. Great pics of the inundated city!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As cold as it looks, I imagine I'd be out taking photos too. With all the tall buildings, I suppose it will stay around a while because you don't have hours and hours of sunshine to melt it away. Put on your chains and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is only pretty for a short time and then the hard work starts and it becomes dirty slush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure it was really inconvenient for some, but all of that snow is sure pretty! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New York looks so pretty in the snow. My daughter and friends went to Central Park to enjoy the snow on Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, I know, not fun, but I'm still jealous... And I love your pics!

    ReplyDelete