so this weekend

my birthday was saturday
 i spent the morning pampering myself 
massage facial hair blow out 
then
 home 
to 
literally do nothing

 we ordered in dinner from island burgers and shakes
 i love
 the churasco
(chicken sandwiches)
 the fries are amazing
 also some grilled asparagus
 delish 
toonman had a burger 

he also baked me a cake
 you know
 i think you know
 we bake cakes from mixes on our birthdays 
i mean
 on his i bake him a cake
 on mine he bakes me a cake
 usually
 and by usually 
i mean
 for the past 37 or so years
 its been chocolate with chocolate icing

 earlier in the week
 toonman asked me
 what kind of cake i might like
 i was surprised
 because
 really
 he's never asked before
 i said
 i would think about it 

on my way home wednesday
 i think it was wednesday
 i stopped at fairway
 thinking they'd have
 a 
larger
 greater
 more varied
 selection of cake mixes
 than
 westside market

 wrong

 nevertheless 
i spotted a carrot cake mix
 intrigued
 i looked to see what the icing selection offered
 hello 
cream cheese icing 

of course
 i bought them

 even tho the icing was very soft loose
 toonman managed to get the cake iced nicely
 okay 
so it wasn't a cake you'd post a photo of on pinterest 
but
 it was yummy
 lets face it
 cakes should be tasty 
not 
necessarily
 photo op worthy


i think 
someone else
 on the block
 is 
celebrating 


on sunday
 my sister and i 
trekked 
downtown
 to have lunch with our friend judy 
we went to a place called southwestny
its on the corner of albany and south end avenue in battery park city 
the food was good
the company was even better



three amigas


8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!!!! And cakes are to be eaten and enjoyed, not necessarily photographed. :) Love that photo of the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a lovely birthday plus cake and friends! You look very happy and I love that photo of the three of you. I know you do the cake tradition and it's lovely. I do too, have done for...It seems like for ever...and I bake them these cakes: Robert is fruitcake with marzipan and royal icing, Chloe is black forest cake, Jonathan is tiramisu, and Kerstin is fruit flan. I always get a chocolate cake and it's always bought, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I have found that "pretty, fancy" cakes are usually the ones that don't taste very good at all! I love carrot cake and cream cheese frosting.....YUM! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I love your tradition of baking cakes on the birthdays. That cake looks pretty good to me.!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Looks like you celebrated in style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated but most heartfelt HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!! What beautiful ladies (and btw what a family resemblance!!)
    Hope this is your BEST. Year. EVER!

    ReplyDelete