who am i kidding

i was
 truly
 without words
last night
 i was yawning
 even
 before dinner
 which is pretty early
 due to
my rising
 before the butt crack of dawn
 eating lunch before noon
 i am going to fit right in
 if i ever retire
to
 one
of those over 65 developments

 early bird dinners
 sunset specials
 i would laugh
but
its not funny

 my husband
11.5 yrs older
 is
 younger
 than me
 in every way

  speaking of older
remember
 how i whined
 about the comptroller's office
 möbius strip
 of
 form filling?

  well
 i called the 800#
on the letter
only
to
 discover
 there
 was
no
 option
 to speak
 to
 a human being

 i decided
 to give in
 fill out the forms
 again

 have them notarized
 again

 i got it all together
for my sister to notarize
and
 set it aside

  saturday
toonman brings in the mail
 announces:
 'you've got jury duty'

i am
 not
happy
 about this
 but
 i take the letter
from him
 i am going to postpone it
 i mutter
 then
 i look at the return address
 its
 not
 from the county clerk
 its
 from
the comptroller's office

 it looks
 suspiciously
 like a check

 getting it open
 was fun
 it was
 sealed
folded
 like
origami

inside
 was indeed
 a check
for those stocks
i
never
had
physical possession of

 hopefully
 this upcoming election
will bring in a new comptroller
 i hope
he
 notices
fixes
 all
the
redundancies

 who am i kidding


9 comments:

  1. Good for you, check in hand. I too love those eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you got the check so you get to buy the beers. Good luck on your jury duty. Here in Tulsa it is special place in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already there, Daryl! I'm up early, do my errands when the stores open (when I'm off that day), and eat in front of the evening news. Often, I can't keep my eyes open at nine o'clock. I'm not even very old...what happened to me?!? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shorter days are fooling me into thinking it's very late when it's only about 7pm. If I don't stay up until 10, I will wake up at 3 or 4. That's not good. I need 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I think I'll fit right in to those 65+ schemes. I think I've fit in my whole life because of 14 yrs of figure skating and on the ice by 6am and crashed in bed by 8pm! Ok, now in my old age I can stay up to 9pm! Thank goodness you avoided the jury duty this time. (I know, civic service and all that, but it's such a terrible thing to have to go thru.) I was on a jury for a molestation/assault case and it was a most dreadful experience. Lovely, creepy photo of the eyes. I love when there's a bit more imagination put into unsightly street utilities. Here we are starting to get street utilities boxes covered with photo murals which mimic the street scene or introduce some bucolic green and they blend in more without looking like a sore thumb, and I especially love the giant construction plastics which have a mural of what the future building will look like. :) Oh, and, hey, a cheque is better than a poke in the eye....as long as you don't have to give it back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot of those eyes!

    Government bureaucracy. A little taste of Hell, right here on earth.

    ReplyDelete