out and about with friends

okay 
I am warning you
 this is a long post
 filled 
with
 many photos 
none of which are signed
 because
 I am a sloth

 you're welcome

 it would have been forever 
before
I got these signed and posted

 so
 go get some coffee or tea
 and 
make sure you use the facilities

 its gonna be a long one

it started
 when Kate arrived
 on Thursday 
she had to go to 
Fishs Eddy
 so
 off 
we 
went


we got back uptown
to find
Janice, Sam and Maria arrived
starving

lunch at Land
on Amsterdam Avenue
delish


lunch included
a discussion 
of
 what was next

the decision:
Fifth Avenue

we took the subway
very
efficiently


to the 
Fifth Avenue station on the N/R line

stepping out 
onto 
Fifth Avenue
along with half the world


we joined them 
oogling
the 
holiday windows
 of

Bergdorf Goodman
from 
afar


from 
up close



Bulgari
was
sort of
vulgar-i


wrapped in a snake(s)!



less ornate
was
a watch shop 
decorated
in 
clock work snow flakes


Harry Winston
 is a 
class act
in
understated
tiara-like
window trim


Henri Bendel
 showcased
a
retrospective
 of their past

 that suit 
is made of vintage ads


Fendi
was wrapped
in
glittering
belts
dripping icicles



Cartier
added
 glowing
panthers




to the
tradition red ribbon
wrap



at that point
 the kids decided
 they wanted to shop
 the adults
 opted
 for a sit down 
at an espress bar


having fortified ourselves
 we headed 
to 
Rockefeller Plaza 



specifically
30 Rock's 50 Street entrance
to
The Top of the Rock



Matt
Kate's son joined us


there was an amazing elevator ride 
which I did not chronicle 

we got to the second level observation deck
 where
 Janice decided
 she was going to hang onto the building
 while admonishing
 anyone
 who could hear her
over the wind:

everyone is way too close to the edge
 keep back
 dont lean
 watch out
one good gust of wind and surely you will fall off
 get away
 you're going to fall
humans were not meant to walk around at these heights
gravity is proof of this




  I am not exaggerating

we ignored her

this
was shot with my BIG lens
 between 
 the plexiglass shields
 that keep people from falling 


we lured
 Janice out
for a group photo  
with the promise 
we would be fast 
and 
we'd hold on to her tight


she wasnt happy
 about them standing there
 but 
they didnt listen 
either




this is the last one, right?
and
 with that
 she ran inside 

Kate, Matt and I went up to the very top deck


 to get this shot at sunset





29 comments:

  1. Loved every word and each and every picture!
    All of the windows and facades are so beautifully decorated but I think I like Henri Bendel the most- the city at sunset is stunning...
    Wonderful visitors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ... love your take on the city..
    I would still be window watching.......
    it's all amazing to the country mice.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you for taking us along with you! Those window decorations are amazing, and I'm afraid I'd be a lot like Janice, but I'd try to be brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you I got to experience Christmas in the Big Apple. Thanks and Happy NewYear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a fan of blogs by Kate, CBW and of course yours, this was a double treat: love letter to NYC holidays peppered with people I have come to love. Happy Holidays, Daryl & Toonman. Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I've never been to the top of the Rock -- I'll have to add that to my list of things to do someday. I can't quite decide which window dressing I like best, but those panthers! Hard to resist. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love all the store fronts glittered up! Great shots Daryl but my favourite is definitely the sunset shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love Henri Bendel and Fendi's!

    Glad you had such a fun and festive visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your images, Daryl. I had so much fun and the Top of the Rock was one of the highlights of my visit. Thank you for showing us your city ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful photos to truly capture the holiday in NYC! Makes me feel like I was there, even though I took a break this year. Just love top of the rock, need to do ESB in 2013 to see how they compare. And these were not too many photos, just a fabulous post about a fabulous city!! Thanx !!

    Rosemary
    NYC Style and a little Cannoli

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adventure!!! Pity you didn't chronicle the elevator ride. That last shot is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh this was fun!!
    I love Janice hanging onto the building, poor kid
    and you all ignored her!! hilarious yet cruel ;)

    fantastic shots of NY

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, the sunset shot is gorgeous but even for that I wouldn't have gone up there. I'm terrified of heights unless there's a solid waist-high barrier.
    I totally agree with Janice. Where she lives, there's nothing taller than a tree, and yet she can be blasé about storms that terrify everyone else. Everyone has their own thing to be brave about, and it seems Janice and I choose not to be brave about tall buildings.
    I liked the Winston window trim, and the Cartier panthers —the sitting ones, not the climbing one.
    Thanks for taking us along for the tour. I especially liked seeing Janice and the kids.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daryl, Wow, Amazing, Wonderful, Exciting! Your images are: Wow, Amazing, Wonderful, Exciting! You can be my tour guide any day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't get to see all of the windows this year, thanks for sharing. That last shot is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's right, everyone was waaaaay too close to the edge!

    Thank you for the most wonderful couple of days. Sam and Maria will be talking about this for years to come.

    You're the greatest tour guide and a wonderful friend. - JCV/CBW

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have made this exile exceedingly happy with the really beautiful and exhausting jaunt! I his my bitten hands when I saw that ladylike manicure! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I like the snakes, they look like they have huge Swarovski crystals, and coffee, I'm always up for that! Whose ever hands cupping their latte, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So...now I know where to go when shorthanded...what a great visit you all had. My fave window is Bendel's: the suit of ads is quite clever. Please tell Janice not to despair--I would have been hugging the wall at Top of the Rock, too! Oh, that final shot. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome captures! Love that sunset shot. The city is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic photos Daryl..
    would have been great fun for you all!
    Makes me homesick for NYC of course...a little.
    Not the COLD so much.
    Not that I like the heat here much either!
    Guess we can't have everything we like all the time eh?
    Happy Noo Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My goodness, it sounds like such a wonderful time.
    The perfect place to be during Christmas, and these photographs are just wonderful, Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm with your friend. I can't stand it when someone (usually MY WIFE) stands too close to a window or a ledge when high up. Just unusually paranoid on my part, I know, but...

    ReplyDelete
  24. i do like that snake bulgari put up but i am funny...i like snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do enjoy my time in NY with you Daryl. I am so totally with you on the height thing, even with the glass there I would have been freaking out, it was so worth it though for the views and the beautiful skies. Sounds like you had the best time ever, and thanks for the link to your friend Kate's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. p.s. my favourite window is the Fendi window, how cool is that..and ...your nails, oh la! you did Aimee proud, they're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! The lit up Empire State building is so beautiful at sunset:)
    The store decorations are fantastic too...love those panthers:) But what do snakes and panthers have to do with Christmas I wonder:)

    Looks like you all had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete