look, its fall foliage!


I know
 all that whining 
about no fall foliage
 and
 there it is

 Apparently
 we chose the day
 that the trees in Riverside Park
 those
 that weren't de-branched or uprooted 
by Sandy
 were
 going
 to 
POP!

  We did a variation on Toonman's long loop on Saturday afternoon
 swinging down 
around Mrs Roosevelt's statue
 down the stairs to the river 
back uptown
 then
up the long hill
 vs
 the stairs
 to the Promenade
 everywhere
 we walked
 the trees were showing their colors

  Saturday was the better day
 in that 
Sunday
 Toonman
 became one
 with the BIG TV and FOOTBALL
 not
 that
 he hadn't watched
 every college game on Saturday

 We watched a wonderful movie on Saturday while football was being recorded 
Wes Anderson's Moonlight Kingdom
 its Wes Anderson
 so its quirky
 its Wes Anderson
 so its filled
 with wonderful character actors
 like 
Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaban, Harvey Keitel 
and
 the true stars
 Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward

 Got it on DVD from NetFlix 
highly recommend it

 While 
Toonman watched football on Sunday
 I read
 I have been reading a lot lately
 I love to read
 but occasionally
 I get into a reading slump
 not so this weekend

 I finished Elly Griffiths' first book, 
The Crossing Places, 
 a very promising series 
about a forensic archeologist
 in Norfolk on the coast of England
 it was so good
 I started the second
 The Janus Stone
 if you are into mystery with a twist check them out

What else? 

 Thanksgiving is looming
 this year
 in place of
 the take out from Indian or Italian or Thai restaurants
 I ordered a traditional dinner: 
Turkey, 2 kinds of stuffing, 2 kinds of potatoes,veggies 
and
 cherry pie for dessert
  everything is pre-cooked
 I get to go mad
 trying to time it all out 
to be hot at the same time 

 What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

  Okay. 
 Its a short week
 which means 
it will be busy
 so I gotta get going
 catch you later!

21 comments:

  1. I love Wes Anderson movies! & Moonrise Kingdom was excellent. it's hard to pick a favorite, I can watch all of Anderson's movies over & over again- but I really like Fantastic Mr. Fox & The Royal Tenenbaums.
    The leaves were so late this year. & after all of Sandy's wind it's hard to believe there are so many trees that still have any leaves left, but they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky for us, my mom takes care of thanksgiving and has probably already started cooking, knowing her....i take one dish, we drive an hour, show up and eat everything and bring home leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that movie! Wishing you a great Turkey Day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the trees popped!!
    they're probably as relieved as we are to have some good weather

    ReplyDelete
  5. GB and I saw that movie - those two children were absolutely fantastic. I LOVED it, GB not as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you already know, I'll be in Toronto visiting T & freezing my tukas! Haha! I'll also be enjoying a very large black olive pizza...our traditional Thanksgiving meal. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am stunned that you found that much color this week. so lovely though. thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daryl, sounds like a pretty good weekend to me!
    Not familiar with the movie. I'll have to check it out!
    Thanks for the recommend on the book. We both are into that kind of story!
    Hope you aren't to swamped with work, but a great weekend coming up! I guess after this weekend, we'll be bombarded with the next holiday in full force! Humbug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed it is fall foliage, and it's just beautiful!
    Sounds like you had a great weekend.
    Although really cold, let's hope the weather stays decent for a bit longer.

    We will be here at home for Thanksgiving. Traditional fare, and as always way too much, but my pumpkin pie will be waiting just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just use your microwave to keep it all hot. That's what we do here at Casa Chatterbox.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am escaping to Washington DC for thanksgiving...a long story....so we had our turkey on Saturday.
    And I will have turkey again in DC no doubt.

    Now for Christmas, we are thinking Mexican food this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You squeeze more into a weekend than anyone I know Daryl! I will definitely have a look out for Moonlight Kingdom, love movies with Bill Murray in, he's so quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a hill! And beautiful colors :)

    Sounds like a great Thanksgiving plan...my son and I are going to share a meal with my brother, his forever girlfriend and her "clan". Always interesting LOL

    Mainly, we'll are all very thankful! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmmm...Cherry Pie! and wonderful leaves.


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ><}}(°> ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. The reading sounds divine as does ordering your Thanksgiving dinner. Wish I could be there for some of that pie. Maybe later in December I can get up there again even if just for a night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is the world coming to with you ordering a traditional Thanksgiving dinner? Glad that you're shaking things up, though. Love the sound of the books and I already have that movie in my queue at Netflix.
    Heading to NJ with the fam and Matt got into town tonight. I'm taking five things (or maybe four, depending on how energetic I am).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy your T day dinner...
    I get off work at 6 am and
    will start the bird in the
    oven before a quick snooze..
    Friday is our annual shopping
    excursion and lunch at McD's...
    ( the day and place where Bob
    proposed 16 years ago )

    ReplyDelete
  18. That movie sounds cool We just finally saw The Artist from Netflix my mom didn't love it but she loved the dog I thought it was quite good. That lead actor was pretty nice looking! And I love how John Goodman pops in all these great movies! My mom and I are going out to eat for turkey day a very nice restaurant in our hometown. Should be a nice day. Hope yours is great !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That forensic series sounds great. I'm adding them to my list.

    And thanks for the movie recommendation -- what a cast.

    You're smart to order your dinner. Wish we had that option here, but alas. Instead I'm cooking, but it's just the two of us, so it will be a simple meal and lots of leftover turkey.

    ReplyDelete