flea market finds - samplers


We went to the 
(NO! they do not sell antique cars or garages)
on West 25th Street 
between Sixth and Seventh Avenues
I'd never been before 
and 
it was interesting  
its inside a parking garage 
so it indoors 
but 
its not heated 
so its cold 
I guess 
most collectors of such crap, 
antiques, 
are hot blooded 
searching through other people's cast offs
 looking for that one item really worth 
something

this was hanging along the ramp up into the garage 
I looked at it on the way in and on the way out 
I decided I had to share


Its a Wall O'Samplers  
I suppose 
you cut them 
and 
frame 
individually 
what happened to actually stitching your own sampler 
with your own motto, pithy, clever, witty saying 
like
umm
umm

Yeah

Well 
I guess stitching samplers went the way of the motto t-shirt
or did it?

17 comments:

  1. Um, this blog is your sampler, Dar!


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a group of older samplers all stitched together and I do like the way you stitched your name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would want the whole thing and make a duvet out of it. Then I would put it on my bed and have an asthma attack. He does, indeed, write the toons....

    ReplyDelete
  4. He writes the toons that make the whole world laugh and Barry writes the songs that make the whole world sing. I'm guessing those samplers are not that old or someone wouldn't have stitched them together (or someone doesn't know the value of an old sampler). I love flea markets. I never realized NYC had so many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the motto tees are alive and well..
    thriving in sunny warm Florida.!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. some motto tees are classics :)
    just like the guy wearing them

    the sampler would make me anxious
    like being in church

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no talent with a needle and thread, BUT did do some samplers in the 70's. They actually sold little kits then that looked like old samplers. Still have the ones I made...somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey Daryl, every adage known to mankind must be on that sampler haha! You didn't mention if you'd found that 'elusive' treasure, I'm guessing not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one somewhere around here that is half done. I should find it and continue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl! Been a long time. Funny post. Beautiful quilt. Saw one like it at a workshop in Albany about a month ago featuring mottos regarding King. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that sampler thing, a lot. The only thing that could possibly make it better would be if it were a quilt and one could wrap himself inside all of the homilies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sampler would ROCK. Too bad I can't sew, or quilt, at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have one in my kitchen that my Grammy made : ) It is one of my favorite things. Very cool collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the sampler of samplers, but I do agree with you on your own motto!
    Have a super weekend Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Before I read your text, I thought they were hand-stitched and I was thinking about all the work that went into that. I used to do quite a lot of stitching -- but have gotten away from that recently.

    ReplyDelete