monday monologue - philadelphia


I headed to Philadelphia Saturday
to visit my friend and blogger
Reena!

I hadnt been to Philly in more years than I can remember
it was my first trip via Amtrak


Got lost 
of course 
but 
two nice cops 
TWICE 
gave me directions 
were they following me?  

Go on, do the loo thing, get coffee or tea
yup
its another
verbose post!


White noise 
from fans in Amtrak's waiting area 
punctuated by announcements 
for departures 
and
special instructions 
for
"those traveling to Canada today" 
drown out the strains of 
Roger Miller's
 King of the Road

Red Caps wear red baseball caps 
There's no loo inside waiting area, Amtrak is clearly a male domain

I couldnt get ticket kiosk scanner to work 
"you're holding it too close" 
advised the French accented Asian teen

SO embarrassed 

Sat a bit 
but 
eventually 
went in search of the loo 
followed by a coffee at Tim Horton 


Still no track posted
  
Finally 
I notice sign 
"Tracks posted 10-15 minutes prior to departure"

Check watch 
20 minutes still need to pass

Five more minutes

Seasoned Amtrak'ers arrive now, 
main area 
definitely filling up
then 
suddenly 
they're moving 
like a herd 
toward the escalator 


I follow 


Nice 
WiFi on board 
Too bad I didn't schlep the iPad
the hour trip 
could have been spent watching 
another episode of 
Breaking Bad

Note to self 
next time bring a pen
Had to sign ticket, no pen 
Lucky for me my laptop toting seatmate had a pen

At least I had valid ID   

Maybe a nap is in order

 Nope 

Too much to see
recorded with my iPhone through the train window
Traveling on the track next to PATH train 


First stop  
Newark 8:15

sign on the bridge read
Newark Makes
The World Takes



There's even an outlet to charge phones/laptops. Nice

Metro Park Islet NJ.  8:25


Even spotted two water towers!


Next stop Philly!

up the escalator


and there's the Angel
(these next photos were taken with the BIG camera)



Reena arrived 2 minutes after I did
we hugged
then
both of us took photos of the Angel
before heading off on our adventure
driving down Market Street


we had to do a lot of turning 
and 
tracking back 
to find parking 

in the process 
I got to see a lot and take some fun shots 
out the car window

we drove by
Chinatown


on the way to


Reading Terminal Market


we visited
Isgro Pastry Shop
their window is decorated for Thanksgiving
because it comes first!

highly recommended it
Reena got pastries, I got biscotti 
(they travel)


Next on the agenda


Fairmont Water Works and Boathouse Row

we drove down the 
where the flags of every country are displayed


Murals
Cincinnati isnt the only city with fabulous murals

this is a mural dedicated to 


this one to 
Martin Luther King



and 
while this isnt a mural 
it caught my eye as we drove by


next up 
some driving/walking through some older neighborhoods


my lovely hostess



my favorite photo op
Philly's famous South Street 
with
mosaics like I've never seen before




the mosaics are not confined to one building
they are on other buildings/businesses



they adorn walls


down a narrow street


along the walls


around the doors



I just loved it

Next stop
lunch at Tango
followed by
a visit to Reena's home 
a chance to meet The Professor 
and 
Kramer the kat


after a lots of talking iPad, photos and such 


The Professor drove us back to town via a very lovely scenic route

 we stopped at a wine bar called 
Tria 
where we spent 
more time talking 
drinking lovely wine
nibbling stinky cheese 
before 
depositing me back at the 30th Street Station 


A fabulous day
thank you
Reena and The Professor, 
I had a great time and cant wait to do it again!


* none of the photos are signed, i was lazy

26 comments:

  1. You are one traveling woman...
    when I finally get to NY , you will
    probably be out and about in another city...

    Great monologue and photos..always !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daryl, what a great day you had! My gosh, you easterners pack more into a day than we do all month!
    Thanks for the tour of Philly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another fabulos post. so much to take in. will have to come back in the morning again xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a whirlwind day you had! Thank you so much for sharing your day trip with us, I do enjoy your adventures! The mosaics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to the Em to the GEEEE!

    You reconnected me to my old turf in a BIG way. The rail from/to NYC. I lived near 30th St station and walked through it almost every day. I saw South St go from combat zone, to my friends buying storefronts for a few thousand, to gentrified. . .

    Leaves, Reading Terminal, Market St.
    You gave me goose bumps!

    Gotta lay down now. . .

    It Hadda be You, Daryl. It hadda be YOU. Thanks much-

    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lazy? Are you kidding me? Loved seeing all these photos (and all that I missed). So sorry that I couldn't be there too. Loved those mosaics. Want to see them some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, wow! Riding an Amtrak (train) and visiting NYC are about the only 2 things left on my bucket list.

    You breeze through like it's nothing.

    I didn't know about the flags on the street or the angel, or the mosaics...I learned quite a bit and loved this, Daryl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos - looks like a lovely weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is quite a bit you can see in Philly! Thanks for taking me back there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being close to Amtrak must be fabulous and make travel quick and easy.. here in the stick of Southwestern Virginia it takes so long to get anywhere. Frustrating to say the least. Can't wait for Hubby to retire so we can move closer to REAL cities... LOL

    Love your selection of photos... musta been a fabulous day for you and Reena!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got lost
    of course
    but
    two nice cops
    TWICE
    gave me directions
    were they following me?


    Maybe you walked round in a circle! LOL

    Love all the photos Daryl,especially the mosaics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got lost
    of course
    but
    two nice cops
    TWICE
    gave me directions
    were they following me?


    Maybe you walked round in a circle! LOL

    Love all the photos Daryl,especially the mosaics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My in-laws live in the Philly suburbs but you saw more of the city than I normally. Fabulous series. Love the Reading market.

    I've come into NYC on Amtrak -- it's easy and clean. Now you'll be an old pro at that train travel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos and makes me want to visit Philly more. I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun, I haven't been to Philly since I was in grade school. Love the photos, especially the Mickey truck :).

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography on etsy and Society6 and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the murals
    and the older part of the city
    I'm going to Phila in early December, now I'm even more excited

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't tell you how much I enjoy my trips with you...! It really does feel like I'm there. I'm from Harrisburg, but haven't been to Phillie in years either. Gotta go. I love the mosaic house, and the photo where someone has the stranglehold on the cat, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was a great day! And your pics are outstanding. I think next time, we have The Professor drive us around and pick us up when on to the next stop! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an awesome day you had! Those mosaics are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great day.. and yes, those mosaics are wonderful. I'm glad you and Reena had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful! Reading Terminal Market! Cheesesteaks! and two, yes two water towers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Daryl! I LOVED this post!!! LOVED it! I need to book myself a trip to that very cool city of Philly! I have actually never been there!! Around it...yes, but where you went was so pretty!!! The mosaics are to die for! Those beautiful leaves!!! That cute kitty!!! Simply made my day! I would have been a little freaked out by the whole Amtrak thing... do not like airports or bus stations. Next time bring the ipad!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm afraid I have to respectfully ask you to quit traveling and taking photos. Every time you do, you make the place look so good, you force me to add it to my list of vacation destinations. I will soon have not enough years left to visit these places. Stop it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I found your blog through Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking link up. LOVE your blog!!

    I love your photos--especially the murals and mosaics in Philadelphia. Just gorgeous!

    Maybe you and I crossed paths on Saturday. I traveled from from NJ [via NJ transit through Newark Penn] into NY Penn and back again. Walked past that exact Amtrak waiting area in your photos. I'd say "small world" but golly... how many thousands of people go through Penn Station every day, right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Murals sure do tell a story or stories. Love them. You are so fortunate to have great friends with whom you can travel to for a visit and see so many lovely places and scenes.

    ReplyDelete