bless those people at my bank


Here's a sort of real time recap of how I spent Wednesday and Thursday ..

On Wednesday I got a letter from my bank asking if/confirming that I had changed my mailing address ...

Well, no I didnt ..

So I logged onto Bank.com and lo and behold there was another address ... 500 something W 187 St ... and a 718 area code AND an office number that was similar but NOT mine.

I called Bank and spoke to a very nice woman who checked and said "I" had changed my mailing address on July 21.

Um, No. I didnt. I was on an airplane to N'awlins on the 21st

She took down all the necessary info and said it would be changed BACK ; then I changed my password and log in

I also called the 718 # and got an answering machine so I didnt bother to leave a call back
I called the 2xx-5776 office # .. I got the assistant, she said her boss was out of town
I dont think these are the phone numbers or address of the person who hacked me

I am thinking whoever did this thinks they could change things and I wouldnt know .. aha .. Bank is like CreditCardCompany:  if you change an address it flags the account and asks for confirmation .. 

Bank has now re-entered the correct address/ phone info and I expect a call from their security people to let me know what form of ID was used ...

This freaks me out big time...

They tell me it was done online which means they had my log in and password!!!

I have spoken to both Bank Banking security AND Bank OnlineSecurity who were both very nice and helpful .. 

I changed my log in AND my password.  I  am going to change the password on this computer here at the office too ... as well as set email alerts for any change of address on any of the accounts ...

I spoke to my IT people who asked if I could get the IP address of the computer used to access the account.  I asked Bank.com who said  'not without a supena' ... 

Wonderful.  I must wait til someone rips me off to get them .. not too happy about that ...

I visited Bank in person and now have a new account #, got forms to switch the direct deposit.
Jillie, one of the admins here at the office, .. is insistant that my taking my laptop to N'awlins was how it happened because according to her ''the wireless connection lets the hackers in"

Well

NO

Especially since the laptop was POWERED OFF and unless its ON it cant be accessed unlike a desktop which is connected to the internet by modem and even when its powered off its internet is connected so its possible it can be hacked that way ..

After I explain this to her - trying VERY hard NOT to use THE VOICE - she said: Are you accusing me?

I spoke in the most indoor voice I could manage and said: IF I thought it was you I would have accused you yesterday. I am not accusing anyone. I dont know who did it. I only know it had to happen HERE at the office ..

Bank explained - to those of you who dont know this about online banking - if someone had my password and used a computer which was NOT either this office PC OR my own Mac they'd be told they couldnt access the account until a VERIFICATION # was text messaged to a CELLPHONE that is listed on the account.

Since I had the only cellphone listed on the acct with me .. they couldnt have accessed my Bank.com account from a NEW computer ...

SIGH

So now I have a new password to the PC, a new log in AND password to Bank.com .. a new account # and all sorts of alerts triggered both at Bank and Bank.com

As of Friday morning money was moved into the new bank account and the 'old' account closed.

Have I stopped freaking out?

NO ..

I wont until I know how this happened .. and why if they got in and changed the address/phone numbers

WHY has nothing more happened?