landmarked



I am not sure if you can read what is on the sign .. so here's what it says:

When Frederick Law Olmstead submitted plans for Riverside Park in 1875, it was sponsored by the city with an eye to attracting the middle class to the then underdeveloped west side. The introduction of the elevated railroad this far north in the 1890's added to the appeal, and the results were these handsome row houses in a sort of picturesque medieval style, displaying a compatible rhythm of bowfronts, bays. ooriels, parapets, gables, dormers, chimneys, and stoops. Built and embellished in Roman brick, brownstone, limestone, leaded glass, terra cotta, tile and wrought iron.


And here's a look at part of West 80th Street (I realized when I set out to do this post that I only have photos of our street during/after snow!) that's 'our' building and that's Riverside Tower with the blue awning, a not very chic but affordable hotel ..




8 comments:

  1. I discovered last year that Olmstead designed all the parks in Seattle. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    I didnt know that, about Olmstead. It is a cozy place .. I realized I have no photos of the block in full daylight only as silhouettes in the photos I take of the sky.. this weekend I am going to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to get to NYC one day....

    I just added you to my blogroll. Hope that's OK with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I have returned the favor (I hope) and thank you .. I am flattered! Please do come to NYC .. let me show it to you in person!

    Thanks, nessa, we love it and the whole neighborhood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice building... Looks like a lovely place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its not bad .. our apartment, teensy tiny, is there on the ground floor just to the right of the front door .. that car is blocking the view of our windows..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to comment.
It is appreciated.
Blogger can sometimes be rude but I try hard not to be.
I think anyone who leaves a comment deserves a personal reply.

I reply to everyone I can by hitting reply to the comment feed in my email.
Unfortunately, sometimes it just comes up noreply-comment@blogger.com.

You can fix that .. go to the comments section of your blog and attach your email to your posts.

Or

email me: fashionistanyc at gmail dot com