just a cold

that's what he said
 its just a cold

 i waited almost an hour
 wait
 let me tell you
 how annoying
 it is
 to get to an appointment a little early
 sit in the waiting room
 for at least 15 minutes past the appointment time
 then
 sit in the exam room
 for almost a half hour
 before 
the doctor comes in 
without even a sorry

 add to that
 the 'nurse'
 who weighed me fully clothed
 reads the scale
 says
 take off 2 pounds for clothing

 what about my shoes? 

then
 asks me:

 are you unsteady on your feet 

do you feel lightheaded

 have you fallen in the past year

 ok
 so i lied about that
 since it seemed
 admitting
 i fell not once but 3 times this winter
 would
 surely have her
 sending me to assisted living
 or
one of those obama death panels 

am i able to do for myself

do what
i wanted to ask

it was a wonder my blood pressure was normal




8 comments:

  1. are you still sick??? Oh goodness, take care and be careful that falling stuff can be quite harmful at our advanced age! Love the photo...may I use it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a demeaning, depersonalizing unfortunate experience!

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just shaking my head that experience. Sounds so cold (no pun intended). Love the photo -- imagining the kicking, armless mannequin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to laugh, only I shouldn't be laughing. :) As the daughter of two Dr.s this is so familiar. Yesterday I had to have a CT scan and got there 15 minutes early, and, after 65 minutes for a 10 minute scan and being the human pin cushion for missed veins, I took C and me for a road trip to the river just to calm down and lower my blood pressure! AND this was mom's hospital! There's a different time scale for Dr.s as there is for the rest of us plebs I suspect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a long while since I've been to see the doctor, come to think of it.

    Looking at that picture, the term The Great Mannequin Catastrophe comes to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind the waiting in the waiting room so much, because I usually just play with my phone/iPad, but I HATE getting in the examining room and waiting. UGH!!

    I am glad that it's just a cold, but I hope "just a cold" goes away real soon. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness-- too funny because almost the same thing happened a few weeks ago!!....... Wicked cough for wks- thought it was getting worse just before holiday weekend- thought I'd better go in so I didn't have to clog up the dreaded ER or walkin care........same results as you---- but LOVE the pic- I've fallen several times this winter---"no tell" policy here too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your disdain for some in the medical profession. How can anyone with even a modicum of real compassion not offer an apology to someone for keeping them waiting?

    ReplyDelete