on the street


you know me
 i walk
 i take photos
 i see something
 i capture it
 with
 my iphone 

this newspaper kiosk
 yes
 i know
 it looks nothing like what you think a kiosk should look like
 but
 that 
nevertheless
 is what it is

 it
 sells 
newspapers
 magazines
 candy
 gum
 and
 there to the left of the man in beige/brown
 is a refrigerated unit 
where soft drinks and bottled water are stored
 for sale 

this kiosks can be found along broadway on the upper westside
as well as on many streets avenues in manhattan
this one
 is 
on the corner of broadway and west 79 street
just outside the entrance to the subway

12 comments:

  1. Why does it not look like a kiosk? Looks like one to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fantasy to operate one on a busy street!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning sights! Smart owner to add a refrigerated unit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are always great all over the city. Sorry have not been around, life has been a bit crazy. I do miss the city so much, hoping to get there soon. I need my photography for de-stressing! Have a lovely Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these slice-of-life shots. And I also remember those chewing-gum imprints on the sidewalk, which remind me of some sidewalks in the town where I grew up. I've been absent a bit; sorry. Getting ready to pack, both in body and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daryl, I've never seen a real live news stand, but this is just the way I think of it!
    I like these street type shots. I think they push the envelope for me a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing these in the city, because they are always so colorful! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I see a picture of one of these I think NYC...I wonder if other cities have them? I don't think Providence does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly how I imagined a NY newspaper kiosk to look like Daryl...I so wish we had a few here in Perth, we're seriously deprived in this respect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been catching up on all your posts.. just not commenting on all of them. This one, I wanted to say something though. It reminds me of the newspaper stand which figures prominently in Mad About You.. and one in Seinfeld. To me, it's a classic street shot. I'd love to see this shot in black and white.

    ReplyDelete