thursday in the hood


The other morning as I was crossing 42nd Street I looked up and saw this street sign Lincoln Highway.
I thought it might have been a prop from a movie but I was oh so wrong

Here's what I learned by Googling:

For more information about the Lincoln Highway and supporting its preservation contact the Lincoln Highway Association, P.O. Box 8117, St. Louis, MO 63156, www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/.
There are also several websites, the most authorative of which is James Lin's http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~jlin/lincoln/. We also recommend The Lincoln Highway -- Main Street Across America, by Drake Hokanson, Box 85639, Tucson, AZ 85754; (800) 367-9242.

You can also click on the words Lincoln Highway in the opening paragraph and learn more about the sign and its installation in Times Square.

16 comments:

  1. how interesting i had no idea there was such a thing as lincoln's highway. the no standing sign threw me off, no standing? really

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Quite a historic road...you discovered it's "head!"



    Warm Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots. I so want to walk about
    with my camera.

    Thanks for the day's inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew that either. Oh, the things you see and learn by blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating, the first concrete highway connecting the coasts! I enjoyed reading about the Lincoln Highway. Thanks for spotting the sign!
    No standing? I'll just bring my chair..

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is this??? Needs to be a feature in Sunday Styles.....just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool. you were at the head of the road. I'm on the other end... wave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are so many signs! I would probably get knocked down by a car because I would spend all my time looking up at the signs. :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. See? It does exist! I didn't know it went all the way uptown though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting info about the 1st east/west highway. You know I still call the Interstate highway...my granddaughters called me on that one. Interstate/freeway/highway....are all interchangeable terms to me it seems. Just showing my age I suppose. At least I don't say picture show or earbobs like my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first thought in regards to the first picture was--Information overload.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I've never seen this sign before. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete