migrating





After spending 4+ hours yesterday migrating data from one iMac to another the hard way, due to NOT having the proper FireWires, ToonMan remembered he needed something else from the old iMac which is scheduled to be flattened (an IT term for restoring to factory settings) when I get enough energy to do it OR in one weeks time whichever comes first.

I decided that rather than repeat the machinations of the previous migration, I would go get a Belkin 6'/1.6m 9-Pin to 6-Pin FireWire 800/400. 






Apple has a store within walking distance so off I went. A very nice young woman welcomed me and asked how she could help. She had no idea the can of vent she was opening. I told her the horror story of the migration and how I could not believe that Apple did not make the need of this 'fast' connector known. Its not in the lovely welcome to your new iMac video nor is it mentioned anywhere in the purchase process.
She listened politely, then she told me that the info about the firewire was in the specifications section on the web page. I said well when you've owned an Apple for 20+ yrs. you don't check the specs. She nodded, adding, 'and its on the box'
I said ah well our's came in a cardboard shipping box cradled in plastic wrap and styrofoam.  Oh, she said, you bought it online.  Yes.
How old is the older iMac? she asked, because, she 'thought' it might have had both a 'fast' and a 'normal' firewire slot.   It doesn't.
Then we went to find the damn cord and guess what? 



It wasn't on the 'wall' so she goes into the back and comes out with a friend .. they both tell me how sorry they are its sold out ...  how if  only I had been there an hour earlier.
The friend then backs away as I say: Okay, now go into the back and bring me one your techs use, I will leave you my wallet and my iPhone and I will be back in 2 hrs.  She said all the wires are connected to projects.  I say I am not a happy woman.  She says I understand ... but Best Buy carries them ... and they have a store 3 blocks away!
Off I go.  Best Buy is staffed with morons.  No one offers to help you. I finally find someone.  'Firewires?' I ask.  He points to a wall.  I go over and look, he follows asking what connector do I need?  I tell him.   He insists my old iMac has both high and normal speed slots.  After I dissuade him, he tells me the firewire I need is sold out.  I turn and leave. I do not even say thank you.  Which by the way,  I do even when I am being sarcastic.  I am not a nice person and these people brought out the absolute worst in me... and part of me enjoyed it.  The other part is exhausted.


And in the end ... well, see for yourself.



edited to add: Dianne sent ToonMan that t-shirt!  Thanks, Di!