ohmygod, she's cooking!


I had the best sandwich at Le Pain Quotidien, chain of faux French bistros, several months ago, it was tofu, curried and it tasted like egg salad.

I swear!

I longed to have it again, so when once again I lunched at a Le Pain Quotidien I scanned the menu to no avail.

Mentioning this to a friend shortly after got me a receipe from 'our' own Epicurious.com

So easy to make even someone who detests cooking can do it.

Actually I have now made it twice.

First time I didnt have any Turmeric but I did have Curry ... trust me one does not replace the other.

Stopping to buy some nice Turmeric at Zabar's along with some organic tofu I headed home to cook and blog it for you!

I could have spent a lot of time captioning each photo I took while I 'cooked' but honestly I had no idea it was so time consuming and disruptive to actually making the fixings for a sandwich.

So you are going to have to look at the collage I made instead.

But I will regale with how I made it.

So to that end, here's the actual recipe.

1(14-oz) package firm tofu -- now I am very fussy about the consistency of tofu I will eat, so I got extra firm

1/2 cup mayonnaise -- I am not a mayonnaise lover but I also detest faux mayo so I used full strength but I didnt measure precisely, I scooped out what I thought would be enough. It was.

1 teasooon fresh lemon juice - - I had ReaLemon in a squeeze thingie, it worked just great

1 teaspoon turmeric -- spring for it, its worth it

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard -- amazingly I still had some from my real cooking days and it hadnt dried up to dust

2 celery ribs, finely chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh chives --I substituted scallions, tastes great

Salt/Black Pepper to taste


Got all that?

Good.

Now let's make it.

First step is to rinse, mash and then drain the tofu, you'll need a strainer, a colander will not work, I know because I didnt have a strainer the first time I made it, I was sure we had one but I bet it got tossed after being ruined cleaning seeds outta herb. So I bought a new one.

Let the mashed tofu drain approx. 15 minutes

While we wait for it to drain you can chop up the celery and scallions (or, if you insist, the chives).

Next whisk (amazingly I had a whisk!) together mayonnaise, lemon juice, turmeric and mustard in a bowl (save clean up time use the bowl you are going to serve out of), then stir in the drained mashed tofu, celery, scallions (or chives), salt and pepper.

Voila! I promise you its delish.

I put it on some fresh Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Bread, added a couple slices of NJ Beefsteak tomato ... I didnt have lettuce but if you want, feel free to garnish your sandwich with lettuce .. a nice red leaf ... and I had some crisp red grapes and an Original Sin Hard Cider to wash it down.

L'Chaim!

42 comments:

  1. I LOVE tofu egg salad! I'm in shock that you've made it yourself... TWICE!!! Lovely photos, and amusing commentary!

    Am I first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. So maybe I'll be second, too. I was just walking by my computer and my reader for you changed from "1" to "2" so I thought I'd take a shot. Since you said that about being first on one of my posts. I'm thinking it's a little tougher to make it here than on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember cooking ...

    your manicure is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed - really laughed my friend. You and cooking! Tell me - how do you manage with those beautiful nails? I know - I know - it's not something you regularly do...but still?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this might actually get me to try tofu with an open mind. I am terrified of tofu for some reason...maybe because I never really gave it a chance. I love your cooking photos...will you PLEASE do it again.

    You look amazing, my Darylista.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! you must looooovvvvveeeee this sandwich - I mean, you actually shopped to cook, then you cooked/made it and now showing us! OMG! this must be ambrosia! will give it a try when I've checked everything off my ten lists of to do's xxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!! you "cooked"!!

    We will count fixing a cold dish as "cooking".

    You know this is a great recipe, I will actually make it and stuff tofu at CR one more time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressed at the cooking & the collage -- but especially that you could be such a culinary rockstar with the diva fingernails :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If and when my nails ever look that good I will eat Tofu. We have chickens here so guess what? But they are some great pics!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure I've ever had tofu but it sounds good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay who are you, and what have you done with Daryl? ;)

    And don't wreck your kitchen utensils that way girl. There's a reason Bob made the double album LP. And despite what you may have been told, a driver's license is just one of the many things usable for the task. Your AARP card will do just as good a job.

    Or so I hear. I claim no firsthand knowledge of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i woudl try it if you made it but in this house of hall my darling mike would have a corinary if his egg salad did not have eggs in it! LOL I am proud of you... cooking and no nail issues :)

    and again blogger wont let me sign in .... its laura peach :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait, I don't think you can call it cooking if you didn't turn on the stove....but impressive nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this looks very good. Very good. I cook sometimes. Rarely, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my god, you cooked! *faints dead away*

    I love tofu egg salad, I often put actual egg in mine too :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so very funny! I think, though, I'll just head down to Panera Bread 'cause they've got a new egg salad sandwich that's pretty darn good; you know, for a non-epicure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds great. I'll have to try it. I love the photo montage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Oh my Gawd" let me cross myself as miracles never cease. I think you are on your way to deserving a set of Fiesta Ware for this one no matter what hubby says:) I love the collage and recipe. You go girl and run and see the Julia movie while you are so inspired to cook before Con Ed shuts off your stove.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is rare to duplicate a recipe exactement !!sandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't say that I've ever bought tofu but this sure looks like it's worth a shot. I mean if YOU cooked, I could certainly try tofu. Probably. Maybe. Perhaps.

    I really like the collage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! I take it this is a real event for you. So glad it turned out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yes - you MUST deseeed the herb.
    Haha
    It really sounds good. Might try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this sounds so good ms. daryl.
    the last time i had grapes in a sandwich was in southern california at the beach at one of my favorite little places by the long beach marina...that was many years ago ^..^
    i might just have to break down and try this receipe :)
    have a great evening.
    e

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw the mayonnaise and I was drawn in. The tofu left me .........well I can't go there. Get back with me when you want to do some real Southern egg salad. Love ya,
    V

    ReplyDelete
  25. sounds deelish...does you know like it???

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds good. I'd like to give it a try. Mail me a sandwich will ya? I'm trying not to mess up any dishes. The kitchen is clean and I want it to stay that way.

    I like the way you put the photos together. That tomato looks yummy. I'm a sucker for bacon, tomato sandwiches. It's only Hellman's Mayo for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your collage is absolutely fabulous!!! And I say you cooked! One does not necessarily have to turn on the stove to cook. I never do! This was terrific! Will have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  28. your photos and self portraits are excellent Daryl. everything looks fresh and scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the picture arrangement for 'ohmygod she's cooking'! I would like a recipe for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You made it...twice....it's gotta be real good, so I'm off to get the ingredients....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks like a way that I might actually be able to consume tofu. I wanna like the stuff... guess I haven't found the right recipe. Till now, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  32. What sandwich? I couldn't take my eyes off those gorgeous red nails! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never thought I would see Daryl throwing herself shamelessly at a sandwich! I thought that was MY specialty! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  34. i had the best breakfast there.. bread/cheese/sauces/veggies/organic coffee.. the other week.. on west broadway.

    I'll be there again for work related reasons; two different ones.(at 810 broadway - on the 16th and than on the 18th.at the 10 Fifth Avenue one. (just checked my work calendar) for breakfast each time.

    I love to eat good food.

    Glad you are enjoying cooking too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well, I may have to try this as the pic's make it look DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Shocking! You are a gal of untapped talent! Make it for me sometime, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ahahhh!!! Mystery resolved!! Cooking is fun! Glad you are experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Btw, love the mosaic. Great idea, perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete