monday monologue - on my own

Off on my own 
to 
Coney Island 

Toonman 
didnt want to ride an hour on the subway 
and 
have to get to the train
Huh? 

Subway at 79 St 
connects 
w/the D train at 59th
then its a 45 minute ride straight to Coney Island

I lucked out
 #1 subway was there as I passed through the turnstyle

tranferring at Columbus Circle 
I waited 5-6 min for the connection.  

Local stops til 34th 
then we picked up speed 
zipping 
down to West 4th 
and 
on out of Manhattan 
via 
the Manhattan Bridge 
into 
Brooklyn

First time over Manhattan Bridge on a subway!

I debated pulling out the P&S 
but 
remembered 
I opted not to schlep it, 
taking only the D90 
w/the new 
55-200mm lens


 So 
I snapped 
a few pix 
through 
the subway car window 
with 
the 
iPhone


The D train 
runs 
on an elevated track 
after 2-3 stops underground 
in Bklyn. 

Lots of cell, satellite and water towers and interesting rooftops remind me of the El in the Bronx




Last stop 
Coney Island/Stillwell Avenue 
all off 
for fun in the sun  

All the photos are SOOC 
(straight out of the camera)


 a 
fabulous
 'Lichtenstein'-ish
 mural 
inside the station


walk out 
into the sunshine 
and 
see the construction 
going on 
where 
used to be 
now 
just 
the 
awesome 
Cyclone 
sits 
adjacent 
to the new 











thanks for joining me
on Fridaycation
come on back to see the rest of the fun

oh
since ToonMan didnt make the trek
all he got was this







24 comments:

  1. Love it !!

    I wish I could tag along on one of your out and abouts..

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I would have joined you, sounds fabulous...loved the pics of the roller coaster... such interesting angles xoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool - didn't know the Cyclone was still in action! another lovely trip around the City with you, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been there for 25 years! Hello Cyclone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous shots Daryl. I want a Coney Island T-shirt! Guess I'll have to visit eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my dreams...thanks for taking me there!!

    One skeptical guy in the background of the shot when you first got there caught my eye. I love to people watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a happy post! There must have just been an lens full of eye candy to photograph there. I've always loved murals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the T.
    What a fun day and lots to photo!
    Always fun tagging along with you.
    Great shot of that mural!!! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? He doesn't go but he gets a tee shirt, anyway?

    Still - looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tagging along with you for your "vacation" is a lot of fun! Thank you for allowing me to come. I think Toonman is lucky he got anything since he didn't want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. drool i so wish i could go more than vicariously with you... but for the time being it will do :) thank you for taking me with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew you went to CI!!
    my old stomping ground
    my HS - Lincoln High is just down Ocean Parkway from the boardwalk
    lots of good cutting went on back then

    love your shots of the Cyclone
    she's such a beautiful old beast

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha! that's not a bad deal-who wouldn't want a t-shirt from Coney Island?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daryl, thanks for taking me along! It was a fun visit! Would sure like to give that old coaster a try! I,m a bit of a sucker for those things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Again, I've spent the weekend with you! Love the mural, and the Coney Island photos make me want a hot dog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots--I felt (almost) as though I were riding the Cyclone myself. Such an adventure! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the roller coaster shots.

    wv: tolite. It has to do with pedicure etiquette, or so I've been told.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool. It makes me want to go to an amusement park again. Great action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent! One of my favorite rides on the NYC subway is out to Coney Island. The "D" is swell, also love the "F" that goes along Culver. Both offer rich photo ops and a birds-eye view of Brooklyn that I just plain love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. To bad you weren't at Coney Island when my fave actor, Vincent D'Onofrio was there with family building sand castles during a tournament. Those pics show the real, raw NYC. I love it. I get the feeling that Toon would greatly appreciate the tee. Cheers D!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't do roller coasters but LOVE you images of them
    V

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was the perfect Fridaycation! Someday I will get there, it looks like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That lens is doing wonderful work. And so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. FOr me Coney Island is Hot Dogs! And I've never been there but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete