its a mystery

i have this problem with names
 i tend to forget 
 almost immediately
 after 
being 
introduced
the person's name

 i dont know 
why

 i have tried
 many ways 
to 
remember

i repeat the name 
out
loud
 hi so and so nice to meet you

 i repeat it to myself
 so and so
 so and so
 hoping
 i can retain it
 but
 it soon vanishes

 eons ago
 as an office manager
 i would be the one 
who met the temps in reception
 brought them to meet their boss for the day/week
 without fail 
in the brief walk
 from
 reception 
to
 the desk of the manager 
the name
 of 
the 
temp
 would 
vanish
 from memory 

i ended up introducing them awkwardly
 as in
 hey manager
 he/she would stand step forward to welcome the temp 
i would hope
 the manager
 would introduce him/herself
enabling
 me
 to skip
 saying 
the temp's name
 in the best of results 
the manager and temp would introduce themselves

  the other day
 when i was on my way to run an errand
 i spotted a sweet little bundle of fur
 balking at walking down the street 

i knelt and said
 whats the problem dont you want to go to the park?

 the pup's person and i then struck up a conversation
 about dogs
 walks
 blogs
 and
 photography

i got two delightful snaps
then stood up 
extending my hand
 saying
 i am daryl
 she replied

 i told her the name of my blog
 we wished eachother a lovely day
 and
 off i went

 at the top of the hill
 i stopped
 i had been writing this post in my head
 when 
i realized 
i no longer
 remembered
 her name 

i think it was ashley

 if not and you are reading this
 i apologize

 i guess you'd need to be nancy drew to solve this puzzle

 wait 

nancy drew's
 the name 
of this adorable dog 

i
 kid
 you
 not


23 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same problem, Daryl. I forget names immediately, if not sooner. I'm so bad, I can even forget dogs' names.
    This one is certainly cuter than most. What a doggy darlin'!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never forget a name or a face... even a voice..
    but I have been on the other side a few times and
    been the one no one can remember.......
    sometimes being invisible is quite nice.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh! how cute - little sweety! & I do love her name.

    I wish I had a cure to offer you but I am afraid I am no better remembering names either.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem err.......... ;)

    Are you back from Paris??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puff! My childhood pal!!!!

    So great to see you, Parisienne. So....pictures? Stories?



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Whatsyourname, Thanks for that! I needed it! Glad to know that I'm not the only one!
    Also glad that you back! I've missed you!
    Isn't Nancy the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! Welcome back, Daryl, I have missed you!

    I'm great with names, Maybe because of my job. But I'm bad with faces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny indeed. Glad you made it home safe and sound Looking forward to your artwork from Paris! The little gal above is just a sweet one! I so love the dogs of NYC....hey couldn't that be a photo book?? Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we meet new people walking their dog, my husband always remembers the dog's name but not the people. He will always refer to them in the future as "Rover's People", or whatever the dog's name is. Wonder why a dog's name is so much easier to remember??

    ReplyDelete
  10. hee hee, glad to know my brain isn't the only one that's a little airy...i remember faces, voices and smells but not names. rather embarrassing in my line of work, but, oh, c'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little pooch! I too am terrible with remembering names!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Argh, I have the same problem! Every so often a name will stick, but most just bounce right out. I wouldn't have forgotten Nancy Drew, either, though. So precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so in love with this dog!

    I am terrible at remembering names too....but not only that I am having trouble with faces too...I am embarrassed that I probably wouldn't recognize most of my neighbors if I ran into them at the market...in fact this has probably already happened and I didn't know! They probably think I am a real snob:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful shot of this dog, Daryl. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! I do the same thing with names. I just chalk it up to meeting too many people. ;) Nancy Drew is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sweet little Nancy Drew! Her name is what is important (Ha!) I have the same problem but around here its called Can't Remember S^&* or CRS for short...

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is just TOO gorgeous... Love her. I have the same problem with names, and usually I try to make some sort of association. That can work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have exactly the same problem with remembering names. It's horrible. I even struggle to remember names of people I have known for years. Though I think Nancy Drew would have stuck in my head. What a cutie ... I want one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Names...shames...

    What a sweet one little Nancy Drew is!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to hug Nancy Drew! The name game...I have the same problem. I usually try and associate the name with someone I already know with the same name, linking the two people together. It doesn't always work and I usually come off looking like the old forgetful person I am. I think I may need to start taking some vitamins for this!

    ReplyDelete