fishs eddy

this week's
 Fridaycation
 was spent 
wandering
 the East Village, 
 and
 the edge
 of the 
Flatiron District
 because
 I was headed
 to a wonderful store 
Fishs Eddy
 on 
19th and Broadway
 their website
  here
lists the 8th Street stop
 on the Nor R train 
as 
the 
stop
 closest
 to the store 

I wasnt really thinking
 about this
 when I headed out
 of course
 now 
I realize
 that was absurd
 my trek 
from
 8th to 19th
 via 
Broadway
 with a small detour
 due
 to 
Union Square
 was 
hot, 
muggy
 and 
yet
 filled 
with photo ops
 so
 if you are headed to Fishs Eddy
have no interest in photo ops
 get off the N or R train at 14th its a lot closer 

 However
 had
 I
 not 
gotten off
 at
 8th
 and
 had 
not
 had to turn 
round and round
 trying to figure out 
which way
 was
 up 
and 
which 
was 
down
 I wouldnt have noticed 
the mosaic lamp posts 
I blogged about yesterday
just scroll down and you'll see 

I did figure
 out
 which 
way 
was
 uptown
 when I spotted 
 tower 


and
 all the amazing flying buttresses


next
 I walked 
past 
stopped 
and 
went back to see


then
 it was 
the
that caught my eye


 finally 
19th Street


that's Fishs Eddy
and
this


 is what 
overwhelms 
your senses 
as you 
enter

aside
 from 
some great old diner
 and
 long gone eatery 
dinnerware
they sell lots of things
 you, 
okay, 
I wish 
I had some use for 
or
 some one to gift




I didnt buy any of those
I did
buy 
some dishes, bowls and a new mug 
made in America

the rest of the weekend 
was spent
 in
 shallow
 pursuit 
of 
beautification 
local errands
 and 
a lot of staying
 inside
 out 
of
 the
 horrific humidity

I hope you had a great weekend
thanks for coming along
its really more fun with you!



23 comments:

  1. New York City always amazes me. Your narrative and photos are also amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your trip through the city. I'm adding Fishs Eddy to my list of things to do in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ride. That humidity can be a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now there's a walk I'd have loved to have been on!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your NYC weekends Daryl..Grace Church is amazing, and I can see how it could be used as a landmark..Have been to a Max Brenner in Sydney, not here in Perth yet, but I bet will be soon. You know what I love about Fishs Eddy, it's a corner shop and I think corner shops always seem to be the most interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace Church is magnificent! Worth the extra blocks just to see that!
    You had an interesting Fridaycation, I would have loved to tag along to see Fishs Eddy, I love dishes and kitchen shops. Did you find any new books to read?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was worth losing your direct to get those shots - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to spend a lot of time at Strand
    what a delicious aroma of old books

    Grace Church is magnificent

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are an explorer in your own city!! thanks for the journey xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautification is never a shallow pursuit! Love that store!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If a flying buttress doesn't put you in a good mood, I don't know what will!

    Fishs Eddy looks like my kind of store:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow,that looks like a wonderful store! And a great trip to get there! Don't know I would have made it past the chocolate and the books though....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Until I saw the photo, I thought this was about fish.

    Amazing shot of the church, but my favorite was the bookstore. I love being able to see them through the windows!! So cool.

    I bookmarked the "fish" website to go browse :)

    You have such an exciting life. MMS

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually came home from my trip to NYC in '09 with quite a few things from Fishs Eddy. One of my favorite stores by far. I wanted everything in there along with all of their fabulous old tables, stands, cupboards & shelves that they use to display their huge variety of awesomeness! I also found a wonderful vintage cat book in the basement of the Strand (another fave store). Seeing your pix makes me want to come back soooooo badly!!!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. I luvved taking this afternoon hike with you, in spite of the humidity. What a great store! And all those books in the windows above the Strand--amazing photos.
    Have a great week; stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daryl, thanks for taking the time to show me around! I love your views of NYC! We would have been in heaven in that store (fishs eddy), specially my better half!
    Been hot and muggy here too! Into the 90's yesterday. Cloudy and cooler today. Suits me!
    Glad you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, I want to thank you for not buying me the naked woman mug. And second, I need to go here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was definitely a hot one, but it has cooled off here quite a bit.
    Can you even begin to imagine the work that went into the building of that church.
    Mind boggling, and sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmmmm, chocolate....even more impressive than fling buttresses...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to roam about those shops...
    no hassle with the camera ??

    ReplyDelete
  21. with my 20 odd years of visiting nyc i have missed fishs eddy, i can't believe it! on the other hand, how would i get anything home in one piece...

    i so enjoy your pics, they scratch a bit the itch i have for the city, thanks!

    ReplyDelete