monday monologue - sculpture walk


As I sped 
downtown 
on an errand 
an addition 
to 
Columbus Circle 
caught my eye  

An elephant, 
no, 
two elephants! 
one with an apple!  

I kept thinking 
they were familiar 
but 
it wasnt until I was on the way home 
and 
actually stopped 
to take a photo 
did I realize 
why  


Peter Woytuk 
is an amazing 
sculpter 
of familiar objects 
as well as 
animals, 
birds 
and 
even 
rats 
in the most life-like 
yet 
abstract way
  He doesnt 
just 
sculpt 
he captures 
the grace 
and 
movement 
even 
while they are standing still 
or 
perched 
on something common place 
they are completely 
uncommon  

I went on a 
long 
long 
walk 
to capture images of as many as I could.  

I missed a few 
(64th, 67th, 72nd and 75th Sts) 
but 
they are on exhibit 
along 
the Broadway Mall 
from 
Columbus Circle 
to 
Mitchel Square Park 
at 168th Street 
through
April.  

So I'll be out again to get the rest .. 
meanwhile 
here are some 
of the wonderful works exhibited 
and 
you can 
read 
more 
about Peter and his work 




Elephant Pair
Columbus Circle




The Acorn Bench
73rd Street
along side the 'new' 72nd St Subway entrance



3 Big Apples
79th Street





 4 Ostriches
86-87 Streets





A Watering Can
96th Street


Apple and the Clamp
103rd Street


and 

how lucky 
are 
we 
to own 
two of 
Peter's pieces
very small pieces



Crow Skating on the World





Cat Walking on Basket





24 comments:

  1. Oh, I want that cat walking on the basket! Thanks for showing me these, I was unaware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing sculptures, it would be hard for me to choose a favorite. I do love the cat on the basket, it is wonderful that you own some of his fabulous work!
    Thank you so much for sharing these with us, I really enjoy looking at them. What a pleasure it must be to view them in person!

    wv: cheingum: were you cheingum and photographing at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The elephant w/o the apple is wonderful. duck and weave good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing work he does. Love love love.

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE those!! The watering can would look so amazing here at my place. But I'd probably need another mortgage to purchase it. Thanks for sharing these photos of such beautiful sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the elephants are fabulous, especially the one with the apple

    all of his work is astounding

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just wonderful! How long are they there? I MUST come see them (and you, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If my house was big enough or if I had a backyard - right - you guessed it, I'd have the elephant. Amazing. Have to run. Time running out. Will chat later. Have an amazing day Daryl. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are very lucky!!! I loved this post - the elephants my favs - so inspirational xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, I loved them all! The acorn and the apple in the c-clamp especially. And the water can! LOL

    Ok. All favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fabulous. I particularly like the ones with the apples in them - the shock of red color really brings a nice contrast to these incredible works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful!! I guess the crow/raven is his...avatar (for lack of a better word)? Love the elephant with the apple and the watering can, especially. So jealous that you own the cat walking on the basket.
    Thanks so much for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daryl, that is a wonderful show! How nice it's from someone that you're a fan of!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh I enjoyed so much all the fabulous sculptures; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovin' the crows, even though I find them rather creepy. We get lots of them strutting around our backyard like they own the place. Great shots, Daryl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this...must come to the city to view then have brunch of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You must show me your two pieces next time I'm at your home. I think I remember seeing the cat basket but not the crow. I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh MAN how COOL!!!!

    LOVe the big ones and love that you own those 2!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowser! What fun to have all that incredible art just hanging out all around you! What a photo walk that would be...my camera would be on overload ! And by the way...I have missed you. Hopefully I am back into the world of blogging...one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The elephant reminded me of the Musée d'Orsay! :)
    I love this sculpture. Meeps liked the bottom photo.
    Have fun in Cincinnati darlin!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so wonderful, Daryl. Can't believe you found as many as you did. And that you already own some of his work. Love the ones you have.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful. I love the crows, especially.. on the acorn and on the watering can. And your cat on a basket is so charming.

    ReplyDelete